From: "kenw2dtc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] 51J3 or 75A3?

I concur with the other comments made about Collins audio; however, consider
this:  Most of the bragging rights about the "best of the best"  in
receivers includes an R-390 or R-390A.  When you talk to those 390 guys you
find them pulling off the audio at the detector, which is a standard feature
of those receivers.

I have a Collins R-388 (similar to the 51J3) and I bring the audio out of
the detector and into an external amp and I think it does fine on AM.  Is it
one of the best AM receivers, of course not; but sometimes you just want the
look and feel of a certain receiver and you can compromise on certain
features.

I also concur on the general coverage version over the ham band only, but
again, it's a personal choice.

73,
Ken W2DTC