Group,

    This discussion re the power supply filter has got me thinking.

    This stuff has been done both ways.

    I have built a power supply for my TBW using the  swinging  / smoothing
choke arrangements.

    However, I also have in operation a 115 vac power supply for the ART-13.

    It was made by the R.L. Drake Company - yup, the same one that is (was) in
Miamisburg.

    Oddly enough, it is not that heavy. Perhaps 40 lbs.

    When I got the unit the filament supply transformer was dead.

    I replaced the (4) 866jr with silicon, all the electrolytics have been
replaced and I reworked the filament supply.

    I removed the giant selenium rectifier in lieu of a full bridge rectifier
that was now mounted to the chassis.

    I placed some large computer grade 35 volt cap across the output.

    The filament transformer was replaced by a 19 volt 30 or so amp transformer
( 19 X 1.41 = 26.79 volts -  close enough. )

   The filter for both the hv supplies is a choke input followed by the
electrolytic.  Presumably, it is pure smoothing.

   The only thing I did to the ART-13 was remove autotune functionality by
desoldering a field winding.

Apparently, the fields are energized the entire time filament was supplied
making for a warm front panel and unnecessary load on the power supply.

   By the way, I understand there is a mod to get around this "continuous field
on" situation besides my approach of desoldering the field connection.

If anyone has the dope on that pleas let me know.

   de KA4JVY

   Mark