Thanks to everyone for their comments on the receivers. It seems the R-390 is a top candidate, but hard to service and slow to tune. I have always wanted one of these receivers, but have never made the decision to let go of enough cash to have one. I'm not much on paying for a name and it seems that is a big part of the high price of Collins stuff. Are there any other great receivers out there that could be considered in the same category as the ones we've been discussing? I'm not really interested in SSB, just AM and CW, of course.

Rick/K5IZ

John Coleman ARS WA5BXO wrote:

The 74A4 excels in stability, dial accuracy, and easy of tuning, but it is
poor on fidelity.  Not just in the audio stages...