I eventually gave up on commercial receivers, all of them had
some flaw, some had many flaws.

My runner up was the R390 series receivers tho, for mostly
one or two bands, AM, as a station receiver, its good.
It has the diode load takeoff, the frequency resolution is good,
fidelity is not bad, has a GOOD scope takeoff, muting, etc.

Not good for maintenance, or scanning the bands, its quite
noisy, needs a 6kc filter.

Another good one (and much cheaper and easier to work on)
is the NC300/NC303 receivers.

For AM I thought all the Collins receivers sucked,
except the R390 series.

The 75s1 has possibilities, with a good filter and AM detector,
it might make a very nice receiver.
It looks great also, real ham radio look.

For what I use a receiver for, the homebrew blows all
the commercial receivers away, because I picked what I
wanted it to do.

Low stage count (very quiet).
Only the bands I use,
Jumping between 160, 80 and 40 meters,
the frequencies go 1880, 3880, 7290 without
touching the tuning (very non R390!).
I pick the bandwidth choices,
Hi fidelity AM detector built in,
Digital readout accurate to 100 hz.