I have three D104 mics wired up for different rigs. On the SDR-1000 into a Delta 44 sound card I use the built in preamp in the mic base to get enough audio to drive the line-in input. This minimizes the RF pickup through the audio wiring.

For the Drake 4 series I run straight into the mic input. Same for the TR-7. My guess is the TR-7 doesn't sound as good as the 4 stuff because of the lower input Z. But then again I don't listen to myself either. And I usually run a 7077 mic on the TR-7 which is a dynamic.

On the O'scope a good "Hooie-yah" gives 200 mv P-P from each of the elements. Thats 0.2 volts using a 10X probe on the scope input. You can do the same test with a digital voltmeter too. Then you should see 70 mv RMS if my math is good today. Needs to be a 10 meg input meter, an old Simpson will give a lower reading.

Google the D104 or Astatic and you can find a bunch of good info on the care and feeding of the crystal elements. One site had a comment attributed to an Astatic engineer who said that the preamp was necessary to get the mic sounding good because of impedance matching. Just turn the preamp gain down a bit

73, Larry  K2LT
drakerepair.com

I know this is a dumb question, but are you sure the D-104 is of the High Z variety?

Not dumb at all. How can I tell? It puts out about 10mv ptp into a scope. Did not measure the DC resistance because I am not sure I can apply voltage to it safely.

js