It's beginning to sound like a partially shorted mod transformer. With 20
volts signal on the grids of the mod tubes I would think that you should see
at least 200 volts on the plates??

Could be bad 6L6's.

The reason that you see a slightly distorted audio pattern on the audio
amplifiers when in tx and not in standby could be the result of the negative
feedback loop trying to correct distortion from the mod transformer.

Can you easily get high modulator plate current with audio applied? Will the
mod plate meter peg or nearly so if you hit it hard? If it will that is an
indication that the tubes are good and the transformer may be shorted.

73
Gary  K4FMX