Dang!  You're right again, John!  I now see the series wiring.  Good call.
Rick/K5IZ

John E. Coleman (ARS WA5BXO) wrote:

No, look again, it is internal series multiplier, so that the meter will
read volts with a direct hookup.  If this is a 0-500 Volt meter as the
picture seems to indicate, and multiplier was 500,000 ohms then the meter
movement would have been a 1ma movement.  I see no reason for a capacitor to
bypass the resistor, maybe the meter but not the resistor. So perhaps the
other device was another resistor to adjust the value so that the meter is
more accurate than it was with just the one resistor.  It may also be for
temperature compensation.  Both could be removed and the one milliamp
movement used with an external resistor arrangement or divider.  With the
proper circuitry and switch it could be a 0-500 milliamp or 0-5KV.

John, WA5BXO