Nice to talk with you today on 40 meters Don.
I build step start into everything, as I use
solid state rectifiers, and often go over
50 UF.

I am not sure if the mercury vapor things hold up
better or worse then the solid state stuff under short
term overloads.
I am not fond of MV, warm up time, filament transformers needed,
they take up lots of space, toxic waste, etc...

Brett
N2DTS