... you don't have to worry about
the need for step-start with choke input filter using a swinging choke, until you go beyond 25 mfd of filter capacitance.

Good. I have eliminated it. Not sure what the voltage will be but the xformer I ordered is 2000vct @ 500 ma

If you mean the total winding is 2000 volts, with a midtap, then the output voltage with choke input will be about 900 volts (transformer 1000 volts each side of midtap). If you mean 2000 volts each side of midtap, then output voltage should be 1800 vdc. With choke input, the nominal output voltage is 0.9 X Vrms of the transformer.

I presume I can eliminate that drain if I drive with the Ranger and keep it all under 500 ma?

Not sure what you mean by that. The power supply voltage will be much more steady if you have a constant load on it. If you use the same power supply for modulator and final, the PA will keep the supply loaded well enough to maintain good regulation on the class-B modulator. That's the way most brodcast transmitters work. If you use separate power supply for modulator and final, or if you run the rf amp as a SSB linear or use it on CW, then you have to pay extra attention to voltage regulation. That depends on your choice of filter capacitance, choke inductance and bleeder resistance.

My HF-300 rig uses a separate power supply for the modulator. The modulator supply, and final amp supply on CW, show approximately 10% regulation on the meter. I maintain good dynamic regulation by using 28 mfd of filter capacitance in each supply, along with a 25,000 ohm bleeder in each. With only 8 mfd of filter capacitance, the dynamic regulation will be poor for CW or SSB, even though the meter indicates good regulation; look at the output voltage on a scope and you will be surprised at the instantaneous voltage variations under the varying load.

Don
k4kyv