uvcm inc. wrote:
Mercury ref tubes of all types have mercury that sticks to the glass and
components inside.

If you need any more info be glad to help. I have several patents in mercury vapor designs

Problem is that this stuff is not mercury at least not liquid. There is plenty of that also but I not concerned with that. It's the flaky stuff clinging to the top inside of the glass that bother me. It is more like ash but shaped like the anode as though small pieces of it flaked off. There so thin and light that they cling to the glass and no amount of shaking will get them to drop to the bottom and out of the way.

I had great fun now that it is all wired up and waiting for the transformer. I hooked the 110v line through a current limiting resistor to them and they glowed dimly but it was lovely. Took my awhile to figure out why nothing happened when I hooked each side to one of the plates. Without a center tap xformer, I can only do one at a time but it was pretty exciting anyway.

js

p.s. I also need a couple more tubes if anyone has some for sale.