Foam is referring to the insulation between the center conductor and the shield.

There has been a LOT of that produced for almost 20 years.

Instead of "decent" insulating material, polyurethane foam is used in MANY manufacturer's coaxial cable. That would even include Belden.

The polyurethane foam insulation will NOT hold up to higher voltages. This is especially true under AC HV.

Bob - N0DGN

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Jim Candela wrote:

BTW, RG-8 or RG-214 (neither foam) are routinely used in industry for
up to 40 Kv without failure.

What is this ref to "foam" all about?

If RG-8 is good to 40 kv, one would think RG-58 would be adequate for a few KV, no? And a lot easier to work with.

js

--
                      Bob Bethman - NØDGN
|                    REAL Tube Radio and AM                        |