[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> So what you are saying is that the total voltage across the 4 K resistor
> load was 5 x 200 or 1 kV rms audio? I assume you drove it midband (1 Khz or
> 400
> Hz etc).

That's correct.

> If you have a good HV scope probe, you should look at the plates of the
> modulator 833s and see that both have substantial swing, before you blame
> that
> iron.

I don't have a high-voltage scope probe, just a HV multiplier for a
multimeter Maybe that could be made to work.

> You've probably been there already, but don't these rigs have a switchable
> attenuator in the input somewhere, for when they go to nighttime 250 watt
> power level? Is it possible that this is in the wrong mode?

I've tried it both ways.  And in any case, I can drive the rig with as much
audio as it needs,even with full pad on the input, and the plates of the 833s
are glowing out of control before I get more than 20% modulation.

> I had an RCA transformer that i gave away two years ago. Let me know if you
> need something like that, because I might find it again from the guy who
> took it away.

Thank you.  Today I borrowed a mod transfomer to try as soon as it has had a
chance to dry out a bit after coming in from the cold.  I think it is from a
Gates BC-1F.  It is for push-pull 833s into a 5000 ohm PA load.   It doesn't
have the driver mod winding, but I'm glad to get something to try.   If I
recall
correctly, in the RCA line a transformer from an RCA BTA-500MX or -1MX would
be a good choice for my rig.