Good progress on my Gates BC-1T this evening...  A friend at work loaned me a
really big modulation transformer that may be from a Gates 1F.  It say it is
intended for two 833s into a 5k PA load.  It doesn't have the driver winding,
but even so I gave it a try...

Eureka!  Finally - I get to see and hear normal AM performance from this rig.
  The modulation is quite good with the temporary transformer.  I see that it
gets a little lopsided pos/neg at high power and high mod percentage - that
probably due to it being starved for drive without the extra kick of the driver
modulation winding, but now we know with certainty that it was the
transformer that was the trouble.

Now to figure out how to find a replacement transformer that will physically
fit into the cabinet - I can't run it long-term with this transformer sitting
in the open beside it or I'll have some dead pets.  Hopefully I can come up
with one that has the driver winding as well - or maybe I can do that a
different way.

Steve WD8DAS