On 4/3/07, Geoff/W5OMR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not to the extent that happens up in the NorthEast...

True, if you have a smaller number of people participating, less
often, even if the percentage of idiots remains constant, it only
makes sense that you'll have more bad activity by sheer numbers. Of
course, we can't as easily record stuff in other parts of the country,
but I've heard a few AM clips from down south, and recently heard a
4-Lander belching repeatedly on the air. It was probably just some
SSBer trying to make things look worse than they are.

Now, -someone- from up in the NorthEast tell Jim, Brian myself and
others down in the 5-land area, and else where, what make's 'youse guys'
so much better than everyone else?  That's the feeling -we- get.

No can do, Geoff - it seems to be an opinion originated and held by
'youse guys' as I surely don't feel that way. In fact, the one time I
heard you on the air (when the wind was blowing just right up north
here), I wanted very much to chat with you since I wasn't sure when or
even if I'd hear you again. Think I was in the process of signing off
to go do something important, like make dinner.

Maybe you can elaborate on where or how you got this 'feeling'? Did
someone tell you this, or is it more due to the prolific posting, many
stations on the air from 1,2,3 land, unwillingness we have to let the
SSB ops tell us when we can operate and where or ?

I talk with Don, K4KYV fairly often. Granted, he's only in -4- land,
but I've never gotten the impression he thinks he's any better than
anyone, and I'm damned sure certain he doesn't think I am. I've learn
a lot from him on amfone.net, here, and on the air. I've talked with
Brian a few times, Jim a few times, and you almost once Geoff. Have I
given you the idea that being from the northeast makes me better than
you? With the crazy political and wx climate, I'm actually more than
ready to leave.

So in closing - yes, we have some idiots up here, just like anywhere
else. Yes, we do have a good group who helps each other, many of whom
participate regularly on the air as well. But if what you're really
saying is that our posting more, chatting back and forth more, knowing
each other better than we know people we've never met, working
together to save the NE's biggest hamfest and so on somehow gives you
the perception that we're better, I suggest you look to your own
amount of participation and ask - what's holding me back? Can't blame
propogation for conditions on an internet BBS. (o:

Perceptions can be tricky things. Don't let them spoil your fun for
you. I consider any AMers who are actively persuing the mode as
friends, regardless of where they live. In fact, most of my close AM
buddies live outside of New England or the northeast.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ