Nobody here mentioned using a home brewed receiver or an HF to BC
converter even.  I know that Chuck in Midland TX is using a totally HB
receiver, and a very fine one at that, with lots of modern features.

        The Best receiver I ever used was a car radio from a 1955 dodge.  It
was the radio that had the separate vibropack and audio output section from
the main receiver.  I did not use the audio output and power supply but
instead built a power supply and audio section on a rack chassis and then
mounted the radio in the front panel of the rack chassis. Also built into
the rack chassis was an 80/40 mtr converter and a BFO with adjustable
insertion.  At the time it was a fantastic RCVR.  I have often though of
doing it again with more modern additions.

John, WA5BXO