Kim Elmore wrote:
Much of the traffic here concerns transmitters. References to receivers seem relatively sparse in comparison. With that subjective impression as an opening, what sort of receivers are in use in the AM community?

I have (3) Hallicrafter R-274's here, Kim and an (on loan) RCA AR-88.

I've thumbed a 75A-4, HQ-145, HQ-180, SX-28 a couple of Nationals and several various solid-state devices.

I like the SX-28, the AR-88 and R-274's as 1, 2 and 3.

It's hard to beat push-pull audio in a receiver, though.

A good working SX-28 has more sensitivity. The AR-88 is -hot- as well.. I guess those two are a tie. The R-274's are plenty sensitive and, like the AR-88, receive in a very b-r-o-a-d mode, but they just don't have the 'depth' of sound that the -28 and the -88 have.

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, without headlights. (K4KYV)

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR