> If I want to stay -legal-, I need to keep my carrier power just under
>100w, because my rig -will- produce an SR of 4.  Re-read that page
>again, and then read it again, and let it soak in.
>http://www.qsl.net/wa5bxo/asyam/aam3.html

>Those 250TH's, with nearly 3kV on their plates, idle at 120mA, resting
>current, when B+ is on.  They are modulating another pair of 250TH's in
>the final, with a max of 1500v (when the variac is cranked up) at around
>250mA for max smoke (which I hardly ever run).  The -normal- operation
>of the final is 800~1000v @ 150mA for around 150w DC input, and 100w of
>carrier output.  With that light of a load on the final, there's -more-
>audio available.  Glad to say that I don't get an SR of 4, when running
>250w carrier output, but it ain't 2, so I don't go higher.

Geoff,

If you have to keep your carrier below 100 watts to stay legal, then why do
you need 250THs, with 3 grand on the plates no less, to begin with?

That stage is MORE than capable of modulating a kilowatt final. Sort of a case
of swatting a fly with a sledgehammer.

It's interesting tho...  I don't think I've ever heard of a rig that runs a
much higher B+ on the modulator plates than it runs on the FINAL.

Mr. T., W9LBB