----- Original Message ----- From: "Brett Gazdzinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Ben Dover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Re:Reactor Wanted

I suppose the added voltage makes the tubes run more as they like, and make
much more power then needed.

Modulator or linear amp tubes (I treat them the same here) are designed to operate within certain parameters to maximize plate efficiency while maintaining acceptable distortion levels. Operating above those specs will increase power at the expense of tube life and increased distortion.

Really, the power needed seems to be much more than 50% plus the
loss in the mod iron,, I would recomend the same power out of the modulator

If you read design info from the 30's that was the norm in many books and it specifically stressed circuit losses and having sufficient overhead. In later years the norm drifted to running modulators at their maximum ratings. I can only guess that as RF tubes that had ever increasing power capabilities came along many tried to justify the bare minimum of audio under so called "ideal" conditions.

I will be using 810's at 725W "advertised" audio to modulate a pair of 813's at 750W input. There will be a common PS providing ~ 2250V. Its a bit over spec for the 813's but nothing that a little air cant cure; the tubes hi-pot at well over modulation peak voltages.

as
RF input.

The 4X150a deck can produce 650 watts of audio at 2000 volts and 500ma.
I have done lots of expeiments over the years, with different mod iron,
modified hysing,
and since both the mod and rf deck are variac'd, lots of different power
levels
and voltages.

Things always seem to work better reducing the RF current, and increasing
the mod
voltage.

Its my theory that the extra mod voltage allows the tubes to run in the low
distortion range, and the RF tubes have reserve emission for modulation
peaks.

The problem with that theory is that tetrodes have a higher level of IMD increase than triodes when run above their spec. Feedback and a low impedence regulated screen and grid supplies can gain back some of that IMD. Another tetrode problem at over voltage is secondary screen emission which contributes to even more IMD. Used tubes and especially FM pulls almost always have screen emission.

I worked extensively with the 4X150/250 family for decades on VHF where their cheap price resulted in high use in homebrew amps with resultant very poor IMD, often in the teens. It took several of us in the US and Europe to establish cause and effect and establish correct operating parameters.

Good 4CX250B & R tubes operated at 2500V in SSB service can deliver 28-32 dB IMD with the above criteria. Thats about equal to an average run of the mill triode. It still requires careful tuning and heavy loading which equates to using a correct mod xfmr for both audio and RF loads.

I dont see any published specs for 4X150A/7034 operation in either AB1 or AB2 at any voltage. Have you obtained that data in your actual setup? Youre not using the old glass 4X150A I hope.

I also dont take current design (or old designs) as the best way to do
something,
only the cheapest way of doing something, that is why I have nothing but
home brew
stuff left in the shack.
Never had a commercial or ham piece of gear where they did not cut corners
to reduce costs. WRL made that an art....

Good performance comes by the pound. Tailoring the audio at low level is a seperate part of the problem and almost always inadequate in commercial ham rigs. My current rig is a Viking I but others will be homebrew using the best of the old designs and updated if necessary but not going overboard with high tech enhancements.

Carl
KM1H

Brett
N2DTS