----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Nickels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Open Wire - was AMRadio Digest, Vol 46, Issue 24

Ben Dover wrote:
I personally love the stuff. Coax has it's place, but often it's not the
best solution to the problem.

I've always used coax, but wanted to give open wire a try, and so far I'm very pleased with it. But let's talk tuners for a minute, assuming that we're not directly coupling to a balanced plate tank. I've been running 1500 watts PEP into a Heathkit SA-2060 with it's 4:1 balun without incident, but I've heard all the stories about core saturation, etc. How much advantage would a "real" balanced line tuner (e.g. a link-coupled tuner or Johnson Matchbox) have? Then antenna by the way is 130 ft, center fed, and primarily used on 75 meters.

Bob, the KW Matchbox has a limited range on 80M and is reportedly quite inefficient.

You can upgrade your Heath (or is that Heat) tuner with a stack of T400A-2 cores, some #12 or 10 teflon wire and HV tape. Calculate the turns from the Amidon or Micrometals site specifically for 3.8 MHz, it will maintain excellent balance 160-20 as well as less loss.

Also, having read comments by Cebik and others - any thoughts on homebrewing high-power balanced tuners?

Other than trying to find the components that can handle the power go for it. The design should be High C to minimize loss. I believe there was a built to order commercial tuner available that was pricey but built to perform. Id probably go for one of those big edge wound fixed coils and a big switch, or a pair if you cant find a 2 section one. I wouldnt trust a rotary over such a wide range of unknowns.

Good luck

Carl
KM1H

Thanks and 73,