Mike Sawyer wrote:
Dave said

This  perpetration of AM-SSB bashing has had a long running history of at
least 40 years.  Let's face it,  this discussion has run its course and now
it is time to end this "discussion" and move on - that is to those
frequencies that all of us petitioned for below 3750 Khz.

Well Dave, if you don't like it, use your delete key! There are some of here willing to get to the root of the problem. It will not go away if we chose to ignore it. Besides, its healthy discussion.

As much as I want to agree with you, Mike (simply because it's Dave ;->) he's talking about ending the bickering and fighting amongst hams in general, whether they're on the air, or not. Also, I gotta disagree that it's -not- healthy discussion. After 40+ years there's -no- discussion left. It's just the perpetuation of an old argument that doesn't seem to have a logical conclusion, for both sides.

Dave also makes a great point about AM'ers being just as guilty as SSB'ers in knowingly cranking up an AM QSO on a frequency that's 2kc (or less) away from an existing QSO (regardless of mode). Just because (collectively) you say "Well, I've been operating AM right here here on this spot, this frequency for 40 years, and ain't no one gonna run me off..." how does that make us any better than those who crank up a SSB QSO 2kc away from an existing AM QSO?

Bottom line is, we are -all- hams, and all hams, regardless of mode -should- operate as gentleman (and ladies). As AM'ers, if we want to operate without persecution then we shouldn't be perpetuating the 40 year old 'kilocycle wars'. It's time to -move-.

3.720 has been a good spot for some of the NorthEasterners... below 3700 is a great expanse, void of signals and I don't know of an AM operating ham that doesn't have the wherewithal to upgrade to Extra class. When the band-warming party occurred (nearly a year ago), there were signals of all kinds below 3700kc and there was a great QSO that happened on 3650kc. Don's complaint (as valid as it is) is why isn't anyone else down there, taking advantage of the 'wide open spaces'?

Tired of the back-biting and petty bickering?  MOVE!  QSY somewhere!

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, without headlights. (K4KYV)

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR