----- Original Message ----- From: "Ellen Rugowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:48 PM

Wish I could say the same here.

I've had a Gonset Gooney Bird sitting on 50.4 MHz for several years
now, and I've heard NADA. The radio's a paperweight with a yellow
Civil Defense paint job!  ;o)

Mr. T., W9LBB

I know what you mean Tom.  If we were closer, I'd help you give it a
workout.  BUt I see from QRZ, you're in Sun Prairie.  I'm in Greenfield,
which means we're 70 plus miles apart.  Neither of us is running power
(which you need to do troposcatter on 6).  I won't lie, except for a few
locals here in the Milwaukee area, who get on 6, to rag chew on SSB, when 6 is dead around here, it's about as boring as watching paint dry. Still, 6m AM (like 10m AM) is a blast when the band is open. And you don't need much
power then.  Oh yeah, and unlike down on 50.125, you won't just get a grid
square on 50.400. Grid squares are cool.  But sometimes, I want to do more
than say "Hi and good-bye."

73,
Ellen - AF9J

Tropo isnt necessary to work 70 miles with low power; you are still in the extended groundwave region.

I can work 5-10 watt AM stations any evening at that range as long as they have an antenna in the clear. A simple 3 el yagi on the roof will do it, dirt simple to build.

The hardest part with those old radios is marginal receivers. Give them a few new tubes and an alignment. Also be sure that you are actually on 50.4 or whatever the locals have designated. Its also easy to build/buy a RF actuated SS preamp which will really wake up those radios.

Carl
KM1H