----- Original Message ----- From: "Ellen Rugowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoff/W5OMR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 3:12 AM

Ellen Rugowski wrote:
>> What do you plan to use with the Viking II?
>>

> Basically the same thing I used during this last 6m E-season, my HF
antenna
> (which is basically a 125 ft random wire), with a tuner.

That's probably gonna work out real well for ya, seeing as how 120' is a
half-wave on 75m (3.9Mc)

It usually does. But due to the high impdeance, it's one of the things that
drive me to a roller inductor tuner.  I just wish it was up higher.

73,
Ellen - AF9J

Time to get creative if you have the room. Try paralleling a 1/4 wave or other lengths to force the feed point impedance down. Even run at right angles to fill in the pattern. The Johnson will directly load a very wide range of loads; Ive done strange ones with my Viking I (basically the same rig, different final).

There is also a free version of Eznec if you want to play on the PC first.

Carl
KM1H