Ellen,

It sounds like you are almost there !
I just got my VKII putting out power after replacing a broken and worn out roller inductor. One thing that no one has mentioned is that the plate meter shunts, both final and mod, that are located on a terminal strip near the center rear under the chassis, can be poorly soldered if the rig was kit built. They are only about 1/2 inch lengths of nichrome wire shaped as little covered loops. Nichrome wire is not solderable so they must have been treated originally for the solder to take. In anothe VKII I have that was kit the solder connection had become unbonded and under load was intermittent giving all kinds of current readings and behavior including readings without the plate switch on. Just to let you know. Another common problem is that the smaller silver mica loading caps can short out and the loading controls will not behave properly. I think that is a problem I am having now myself but haven't pulled the front panel again to check them. They are under rated and known to become leaky. Check out the condition of the roller bar also as mine had been worn oval with erratic connection when trying to tune. The roller itself was ok.

Enjoy !
Bill, KB3DKS