The "modern" SS rigs do NOT generate AM in that manner.

The last radio that I saw that used a carrier with ONE sideband for AM was the Collins KWS-1. That is precisely why I did NOT procure one when the opportunity arose.

As to Vestigal SB, that INDEED is used in Amateur TV signals, however, I cannot remember whether it is for slow scan or fast scan. It eludes me at the moment, AND no carrier is used.

Bob - NØDGN

--
Bob Bethman/NØDGN/BC-610/Northern Radio SP-600 Manassas, VA - MultiBand Dipoles

Bob Macklin wrote:
The method of generating AM with a SSB transmitter by reinserting carrier
was a common mode of operation in the late 50's and early 60's. The TV video
signal works this way.

It is my understanding the modern RICEBOXES that generate AM do it in the
exact way.

I know it is not real AM but may people just don't have access to a good
Johnson transmitter or DX-100.

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa,