I normally don't like to get involved in this kind of thing but will put in
my 2 cents this time. I have to agree that it would be much simpler to have
the reflector set up with the "reply to" and "reply to all" to work like
most all other reflectors are set up. That, in my opinion, would solve most
of the problems.

I think this was debated long ago and it was decided that both replies
should go to the reflector so that the list doesn't "miss anything". Well
this is what happens. Most people try to do the right thing, but don't
realize at the time what will happen.
I think the warnings about "don't reply to ads on the list" about equal the
number of violations. So that doesn't save much archive space either.

Concerning "extra stuff" getting on the list with these replies, It seems to
me that there is much more "junk" on the list about bashing the ARRL or
something else that seems to go on and on, compared to a few replies to for
sale items. Of course maybe that is what this list is destined for rather
than good AM discussions.
I about wear out the delete key with this "junk" and have come close to
unsubscribing from the list many times. The for sale replies are small
compared to the rest of the junk posts.

73
Gary  K4FMX