On the Schaffer system some were sub audible and some were in the high (read out of band) tones. Most were sub audible though.

Jim/W5JO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Peters"

Hay Jim those are known as SUB Audible tones...When I worked for MUZAK every city had six SCULLY decks and a controller to run the music,,, It would switch from deck to deck so that the same music would never be played in the same sequence. All with sub audible tones. Was my job to change tapes one day a week and clean and replace heads when needed until Sat came in around
1981.
Now even the SCA has gone away. I have one dealer that still uses SCA in Mo.

Bob W1PE