On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Bob Macklin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I put off getting my Extra because of the Space and computer/internet junk
> on the test samples.
>
> But after being needled by some friends I read through the test exams twice
> and found I could answer about 80% of the questions. I took the test last
> February and passed with an 80% score. The examiner asked if I wanted to try
> again? I said NO! I was satisfied with the 80% score.

Absolutely, Bob. I don't use the ELI the ICEman formula in everyday
conversation either, but it was required knowledge when I got my
Advanced ticket back in the 80s, so I learned it and passed the test
at a time when the Advanced license was considered more difficult than
the Extra by most. The added privileges were WELL worth the effort.

Anyone with a license is legally free to operate anywhere within the
confines of their license grade. Choosing to limit yourself by license
class in today's no code/mulitple guess license structure seems all
too often to go hand in hand with the mentality of limiting ones self
to a specific frequency or sliver of frequencies for AM operation,
oddly enough. As much as some people have bitched about AM being
treated as a second class/back of the bus mode, many AMers seem all
too willing to fit that mold rather than operating on any open
frequency, like SSB for example. Even in the General class portions of
the band.

I've never heard anyone on the air operating in the Advanced or Extra
portions on the bands 'chastising' Generals for not upgrading. It's a
free country after all. Embrace those self-imposed limitations!  (o:
Rather, we enjoy getting away from many of the problem children who
prefer to jam modes they don't like, operate big AM signals 4-5 kcs
apart in a very limited portion of the General spectrum and so on, in
favor of a more relaxed, quieter environment where we can move around
as conditions suit and enjoy a decent roundtable without 25 stations
competing with a handful of QSO hogs. As often as not, we even work
break-in instead of roundtable.

I'm only an Advanced, so maybe I'm one of the chastised ones and don't
realize it. I do hear Don K4KYV, Herb K2VH and others down below 3700
sometimes when I can't stir up any activity between 3700-3750. But
rather than feeling jealousy or somehow ostracized, it gives me a boot
in the ass to upgrade and join the fun. To me, the advantages of
upgrading to Extra have zero to do with any perceived snob appeal, but
instead the freedom of working anywhere in the US amateur spectrum
without having to wonder if I'm still within my license privileges.
80m down to 3700 is much quieter with a lot more space open for QSOs
than 75m. And below 3700 is even better. I'd be foolish not to take
full advantage of it. I remember all too well a time not so long ago
when things were much different.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ