Remember what balun means, balanced to unbalanced.  This is not some magic
device to withstand grand excursion from center frequency of an antenna.  It is
to transform on impedance to another.  If you move far enough off center you
can wind up with very high voltage in the balun, resulting in what Brett
describes.

Probably the best balun for high power is the choke balun wound on 6" PVC of RG
8U or the beads that fit over the coax.   Since supporting the choke balun at
the center of my antenna would be a challenge, I use the beads.  There are
there to prevent current of the shield of my coax feedline when I am far off
center frequency of the antenna.

If you are going to move more than 3% of frequency, then forget the W2AU or,
even, the so called quality type of balun.  The W2AU I took apart was
constructed of RG 58.  Not the best for a HV environment.  When you move from
one end of the band to the other, just use a good high power tuner and be
prepared for lost power in the tuner.

Jim/W5JO