I would bet that the Skirt type antenna that you describe is actually a
detuning system on a cellphone tower that is within two miles of a Directional
AM Broadcast array. If the Cell tower is within the two mile range, the company
who owns it must have a partial proof of performance done on the AM directional
array before and after the tower is built. If it is shown to distort the
pattern, then the detuning network that you see is added and tuned to make the
cell tower invisible electrically to the AM array at the broadcast frequency.
It actually is an "untenna" I guess.
Ken Zuercher KC8QO