I wonder...

The past few days I have heard little, if any, AM on 7160.  The DX chasers
scared everyone away?  Later at night after most Europeans have gone to bed,
the band is sometimes still open for good solid stateside QSO's,
particularly from here to the west coast.  But I have heard very little
west-coast AM operation on 40 since the band changes took effect.

During the daytime I haven't heard much AM activity period, either near 7160
or 7290.  I fired up my automated CQ on 7160 about 1600 GMT yesterday
morning and ran several CQ's, and the only response I got (on what sounded
like ricebox AM) was someone griping about how long my CQ's were (each cycle
of the automated recording runs 2 minutes with frequent CQ's and callsign
ID's, then pauses into listening mode for 30 seconds), but he apparently
wasn't interested enough in a QSO to came back to my call or even to give
his call sign. I did hear a weak  signal from VA calling CQ about 2300 GMT
yesterday running 40 watts from an Icom.  We chatted briefly, but I had to
get back outside to finish what I was doing, before dark.

And where are all the Euro-AM'ers?  I have yet to hear a single one of the
3705 kHz crew anywhere on 40m AM since the band opened.

French stations were allowed on 7.1-7.2 as of 29 March, but so far I have
heard only ONE  F-callsign (on SSB), period.  Maybe that bloke was right
about driving across France recently and no longer seeing any ham radio
antennas on rooftops.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/