Firstly, that's one hell of a first rig for AM!  Congratulations.  To
me, the mic to use depends on what's been done to the KW1.  Is it
stock?  A later KW1?  It seems to me that then you would want a Hi Z
"communications mic."  Besides what has been mentioned, there is the
Shure 444 and 520.  The 520 is the "Green Bullet."   If it's been
modified for audio and can take line level low Z then you can run some
processing, and a "broadcast" type microphone like one of the ones
that has been mentioned.    I think the RE20 and 27 are overpriced for
ham radio; you can do real well with a Shure SM58 dynamic to a preamp
and employ some equalizing and tight peak limiting ahead of the KW1.
I'm afraid a broadcast or performance type mic right into the rig
would sound muddy or muffled but you could always try it, what the
heck, you never know for sure until you experiment.

I have endured communications audio on SSB for a few years so to me,
AM makes almost anything sound good, even the seemingly narrow
300-3000 Hz sounds good to me now.

73

Rob K5UJ