You obviously either ignored, or didn't read, the actual article and the
section that referred to this activity and just read the summary.

It really said: "The Board approved the "establishment of a Study
Committee to study, research and consider developing  a plan to move the
US amateur community to narrowband channel spacing in the VHF/UHF bands.
The Board felt that since the FCC has mandated that commercial radio move
to narrowband channels by 2013, those companies that manufacturer Amateur
Radio equipment usually follow commercial practice. The VHF/UHF bandplan
currently use 15 and 20 kHz FM channels. Amateurs are using narrowband
equipment outside the repeater sub-band because there is no real place to
fit narrowband pairs."

None of this has anything to do with our typical HF operations. It's not
clear that even the upper end of 10 meters, where there is FM operation
and repeaters, is even included in the study, since "VHF" generally
starts above 30 mHz.

Pete, wa2cwa