The proposal study seems to focus on the VHF/UHF FM repeaters (currently
15 or 20kHz channel spacing - based on 70's and 80's design criteria)
and moving to narrowband channel spacing (12 kHz or less). Since more and
more narrowband equipment is coming into service these days, and things
like D-STAR are growing fast, new repeaters can't fit into the current
band criteria and are setting up shop outside the designated repeater
sub-bands. there is nothing in the current rules to keep them from moving
into the band areas that are currently occupied by SSB and AM phone
operation. Hence the study to see what could be done, if anything, to
possibly restructure the current FM repeater sub-bands to lower the
channel spacing and thus keeping the FM repeater digital whatever out of
the current "other modes" parts of our present VHF/UHF phone sections.

Pete, wa2cwa