Eddy,
   As a long-time re-modeling contractor in South Texas,
  I've seen silicone fail as a sealant more times than it
  was successful!
   Silicone makes a great gasket if firmly sandwiched between
  solid surfaces,but in the extreme heat and humidity here,
  it loses adhesion, and wicks water if left exposed.
   Best tip I've used is to apply black electrical tape upside-
  down over just the connection, follow up with coax-seal, etc.
   Cover with self-vulcanizing rubber tape, and spray paint.
   The up-side-down tape helps keep goo out of the threads,
   and the paint stops all UV.
      Also, never liked the thought of Acetic acid around
  coax braid.hi
      73 es GL
      de AD5HR
        Jon