Bernie,

Try to get inside the meter, and look at the gap between the fixed
magnets and the rotating armature.

Many times the real issue is metal particles that have been attracted
there.  It is a royal PIA, but with adequate care, and strips of paper
or such, you can get the particles out of there.

Bob - N0DGN