Hi John,

You might want to consult with your friend who did the painting to learn
exactly what type of paint it is and what kind of primer is underneath.

This can help you decide what type of paint and primer to go with next, and to
actually get a small batch to test with for appearance and texture.

It sounds like you would prefer to respray the existing surface. If so, you
have a chance to smooth out any shelf scuffs or panel scratches.  During that
process, you may need or want to take down a high spot or a run, and you could
expose the primer sub-layer.

That's why it's important to know the chemical nature of both the top coat and
the primer now on there, to ensure compatibility with what you pick next.

As an alternative, there are several varieties of clear coatings out there that
would preserve the existing black color, if you can stand that color. If I'm
reading you right, you don't really like the gloss, but maybe the black, as a
shade, is okay?

The clear coats come in varying degrees of "satin," such that you can
effectively blunt that gloss while still having a smooth, cleanable surface.

I like the texture and the color of the "St. James Gray" on the senior Collins
models. I have a 1950 32V2 that I got from the original owner. The color makes
a much better presentation than the satin two-tone gray on the junior Collins
line. ( have a 51S-1F)

However, the wrinkle texture likes to entrap dust as well as fiber particles
pulled from whatever I might wipe down the rig with.

Good luck and hope this is helpful.

Paul/VJB

--------