From: amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:amradio-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf
Of Rob Atkinson
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:33 PM
To: Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] You must see this.

Bob, I was referring to the tube Grommes.  Saw a
nice looking one in
the flea at Dayton for around $90 and I stupidly
took a pass, then
changed my mind about 10 minutes later but by then
it had gone.  A
couple months later in the summer I saw another
one at the Six Meter
Club/Antique Radio Club swapmeet in Wheaton IL
near Chicago that was
around $80.  Now, these were fairly low powered,
probably only 10 to
20 watts and mono.  A buddy of mine grabbed the
one at the hamfest in
Wheaton.  I've been coveting it ever since hi hi.
Actually made a
casual offer to buy it (he hasn't used it for
anything yet) not too
long ago.  No deal.  He knows it's a good one, and
it is beautiful.
So, keep ur eyes open, they're out there.

Why do I want them?   I'm no audio guy.  I like
the small tube amps to
boost the product detector audio to drive speakers
and give that tube
boatanchor sound out the back of a solid state
transceiver.   I'm
getting by perfectly well with old Heathkit 12 w.
p.p. mono amps
though.  I can fill the house with 75 meter AM
audio on a Saturday
afternoon if I want to.

73

Rob
K5UJ

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Bob Peters
<rwpet...@swbell.net> wrote:
> Not these GROMMES Rob...These are there tube
amps
> not the solid state ones... Check out their
> website... My company OEM's there Solid State
> amps...The $1500 is our cost from Grommes on the
> tube version ... He pays way too much for the
iron
> but buys good stuff ...
>
> Bob W1PE

Service
> Subject: Re: [AMRadio] You must see this.
>
> Bob,
>
> You can buy Grommes amps at hamfest flea markets
> for under $100,
> usually in the $60 to $80 range.
>
> If you find one, fix it up and give it to ur
boss.

http://www.mail-archive.com/amra...@mailman.qth.ne