On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Jim Wilhite <w...@brightok.net> wrote:
> Can you imagine an set of
> transformers for an amp at $28,400?  Boy what I could do with that kind
> of money and have left over.

Jim, That's the precise reasoning I use for rigs like the KW-1, SX-88,
etc. Think of what you could get for a fraction of the cost, and how
much money you'd still have in your wallet. For the $26-$30K price of
a KW-1 you could buy a nice BC transmitter, T-368, build a custom HB
transmitter, and still pocket $20K. Especially with the 'roll your
own' approach - think of what you could put together and the utility
you'd have from it. Not that the commercial gear isn't nice, and some
of it very useful and well built, but is it worth that much? According
to some, yes it is.

Money is only an issue if you don't have it, right? That leaves pure
desire, lack of skill or interest in building, or ego as the main
reasons for paying a lot for something like this. Sometimes the
'value' of something has little to do with the item itself, and more
with the perceived prestige of ownership. And other times we end up
saying "I know I paid far too much for that, but I really wanted it".

Fortunately my radio budget limits me to the '$100 or less'
transformers most days.  (o:

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ/4