Interesting
 This Rule it States

"Safety of life and protection of property. No
 provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means
of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication "

BY AN AMATEUR STATION...

 All FCC Amateur License granted to a person or Club/trustee.
It is not only an Operators License. But it is also the STATION license.At the
address on the License or wherever  the licensee/Trustee sets up a portable
station where there is a control operator with the Correct license class to
operate on the stations frequency allocation.

 This does not Grant any Police officer or OEM to operate an Amateur radio
During an Emergency. UNLESS it is a LICENSED Station. with a Control operator
with the correct class to operate on those freq.

Since my Local PD OEM. Does not have any Licensed Hams in its department, and
wants No help from the local ham community to Be the acting control operators.
In this case even in an Emergency they cannot operate the station they setup.
 Just Because they Bought the Equipment and set it up as a Ham Station. Does
not mean they can operate it without a Licensed Ham Present to act as the
Control operator Even in an Emergency Because technically It is not a licensed
station.
Now If I showed up and Said I will be the Licensed Control operator and Use my
Calls. It will then be a licensed station . and they could use it in an
emergency. AS long As I am the Control operator.

Another example is  2 towns over from me. The Township OEM. contacted a few
local Hams including myself. and we Formed the OEM Group. we requested a Club
Call for the station at the Address of the OEM.
The Town purchased Amateur Gear to setup the station.
This Is a licensed Club STATION.
As long as There is a licensed Control operator at the station we have No
Problem in allowing the Police to use ham radio in an emergency. Because this
is a Licensed station.

Neal KA2CAF