From: D. Chester <k4...@charter.net>
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Fri, Mar 5, 2010 1:36 pm
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AM IARU Region 2 Bandplan

I haven't attempted to formulate a response yet, but two things
immediately
come to mind.

One, the bandwidth issue.  The Region 1 plan specifically accommodates
AM on
any phone frequency despite nominal maximum bandwidths posted in the
chart.
This is conspicuously absent from the current Region 2 plan.

Two, 40m. Although this would take FCC action to correct in the USA,
phone/cw segregation should be more closely aligned with that of the
other
regions. Specifically, in light of the removal of (most) broadcast
stations
 from 7100-7200, the N. American band plan should accommodate phone down
AT
LEAST to 7100 kHz. (Most other Region 2 countries are already operating
phone well below 7100 anyway).

This would apply immediately to Canada, Mexico and other countries in
the
Americas, since nearly every country in the world, except for the U.S.,
long
ago phased out government-mandated subbands.

It is ridiculous that 25% of the newly-vacated frequencies are off
limits to
US phone operators, yet at best there are hardly ever more than a half
dozen
or so CW/RTTY/data QSO's on 7100-7125 at any given moment, while
7060-7100
remains under-used by U.S. non-phone ops as well. SSB ops are fond of
complaining about AM activity in the vicinity of 7160 because of the
"limited band space" to operate phone in the newly vacated segment. We
need
to be thinking of a petition to the FCC to further expand the 40m phone
band.

Don k4kyv

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/