Whether or not this is their goal, (which as you point out isn't clear),
it is an important point.
Ham equipment is manufactured for the international market.  That means
we are at risk of being 'lowest common denominatored' into things we
really may not want domestically, like ROHS standards that sprang from
the EU, or the Kyoto protocol, carbon taxes, etc., etc.

Any additional bandwidth restrictions in any band plan, even if it does
not pertain to us as she is saying, makes little sense in today's world
of SDR rigs, new modes, and rapidly moving technology.

The spectrum should be wide open for experimentation and innovation, not
artificially micromanaged to death.

Gary
W3AM