I am a little puzzled as to why Todd's letter was not sent directly, and
privately, to those who need to hear it.

Instead, it has gone to the 99 percent of us who don't include a political
slant in our postings here.

I can agree that it's easy to interpret comments as "fightin' words" when no
argument was intended.  That's a problem not limited to this list.

But, as seen on QRZ.com, it is very difficult to establish when too far is too
far. That website lost several good writers whose opinions I respected, because
they were told they could no longer express their views in the way they had
done.

It's a tough balancing act.  My recommendation is to privately and directly
point out when someone has crossed the line to the level the moderators deem
inappropriate, or when enough complaints come in that the matter has to be
reviewed by those moderators.

Regards

Paul/VJB