Don't know enough about the 5000's receiver, but a couple years
  ago, I talked with W5GI on 3.880 as he was shaking out the prototype.
  None the "old buzzards", nor I, could tell it from a plate-modulated
  rig. I've heard several on the air since, and they seem to have pretty
  decent transmit audio, guess all the modern digital processing in the
  computer helps out there?
   Who am I to talk? I run a single 5763, modulated by a pair of 6AQ5's
  into an SB221 for 100W., and listen on an HQ-140A,or FT-847 ricebox
  when the QRN,QRM,etc. gets nasty. Wish I had a "real"RX, R-399, 75-A.
  etc. Maybe someday.HI
  I'm burning all the lights, idling both trucks, and dumping 1500W.
  into the 15M. ant., trying to work B1Z on 15M in the WPX contest.
     Happy Earth Hour
      Jon
   AD5HR