the Kenwood does indeed sound good for a s.s. ham transceiver; one of
the hams who does work on them heard from a kenwood engineer that they
had engineers from the kw audio products division working on the ham
gear and that's why among the JA gear kenwood has or had the
reputation for the best sounding audio.  I don't know about now though
because they have not produced any major ham rig in around 10 years.
The only time I use my 870 now is during times of rough QRM because I
can vary the passband down to 5 KHz and tune out a lot of the junk.

What I have heard lately from a friend who is interested in all this
digital stuff is that the dsp ham gear used to, or still does, employ
a technique called over sampling but this apparently led to digital
artifacts and degraded sound quality; the hot thing now is supposed to
be zero over sampling to correct this problem.  I don't know anything
about this; I'm just passing along what I have heard.  I have not sunk
any money into this because it seems like this year's hot item is next
year's "oh that's no good now, you have to get this..." so I'm waiting
but maybe you can use your SDR-IQ for the good part about digital, the
panadapter and other signal analysis but listen to the same signal
with an analog rx.    If you have your receiver feedline going to some
kind of splitter you could listen with an analog rx and use the SDR-IQ
for the analysis functions.

73

Rob
K5UJ