Hello Joe:
Thank your comments.
My EME experience is minimal.  I have only been able to hear a few signals from
the Moon and have yet to complete a full 2-way EME (new antenna in progress).
I am sure there are some people on this emailing forum that have more
experience than I have with EME communications.

The reason for a small antenna setup on the NASA lander proposal is because I
believe it will be harder to convince NASA to allow us to install a 20 foot
boom on the lander.

Right now this is the concept theory phase.
Is a 2m/440 SSB transponder practical?
If our analysis proves that it is not, then we can move on higher in frequency
until we find an affordable solution (within the ITU guidelines).

The ground stations will need to be Oscar  class or better (12-15+ dBd).
The question is, which frequency combination will give us the best bang for the
buck and provide access to the most users?

A Moon repeater will never be accessible via a HT.  And with the exception of
one (1) truck I saw, it will not be accessible to mobile SSB systems.