The latest edition of "The ARRL Satellite Handbook" contradicts earlier
versions, which suggested the same approach that Drew has here (i.e., always
Doppler-tune the higher frequency) in favor of "parking" the uplink frequency
and Doppler-tuning the downlink (see the section "Finding Yourself ... and
Others," which begins on page 5-13 of the handbook). It occurs to me that, in
general, that is the worst approach to take - although I admit to only knowing
enough about all of this to be more dangerous than not.

Before I added computer-aided Doppler tuning to my station, I took Francesco's
approach and always tried to stay at the same downlink frequency,
Doppler-tuning the uplink regardless of whether it was the higher frequency. In
reality, my approach is only inconsistent with Drew's ONLY on FO-29 because, on
AO-7 (when in Mode B) and VO-52 (always in Mode B), the uplink IS the higher
frequency.

The reason I believe the 2008 edition of  "The ARRL Satellite Handbook" offers
the worst approach has two elements:

1 - the "slipping" on the downlink that Francesco alludes to in his post, and

2 - the use of VO-52 as the "example satellite" for the description of how to
find one's signal. The exercise directs readers to Doppler-tune the lower of
the two frequencies to find themselves on the satellite.

Later today, I will try the "always tune the higher frequency" rule on FO-29,
which I admittedly have not every tried. I'm looking forward to learning how
that works for me since the higher frequency on that satelite is the downlink.

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL