From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Tony Langdon
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:07 PM
To: James French; AMSAT-BB
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: The Moon is our Future

At 02:30 AM 7/3/2009, James French wrote:

>Why not use a L/s, U/L. or a U/s transponder for this?
>Why limit ourselves to V/u for everything?
>Aren't we supposed to 'experiment' with the higher frequencies we have
>allocated?

I agree.  I believe the Moon is a job for the microwave bands.  Antenna gain
on both ends is easier to produce (for a fixed dish/array, the Moon end will
be gain limited by the need to have the beam cover for the varying position
of the Earth due to libration).

Comeing up with a method to align the antenna initially will be an
interesting challenge.  That will have to be automated, even if it's a one
off process.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com