Ben, I agree we need a ruling on this I think part 97 is vauge and vauge for a
reason

What we need is to setup a confrance call or something so we can get a well
written letter together and get it off to someone who can make a ruleing at the
FCC

Skype, echolink, dstar or something where those that are interested can all
join in -
Define a system and descuss the possablities of doing call sign routing,
sending the pages up to a satellite ect ect

But before "we" put a lot of time and effort and money into this
I think we need a ruleing

I know for a fact that our local repeater is cabable of doing 2 tone paging -
and was in use back when I was very young and not a ham - the elders of the
local club say it was able to send alerts for weather, pages for people to get
on the radio, ect. It was all done with tones at the time - "our" pagers are
far more advanced and can display the text of whatever

No one in the club can tell me why they stopped using pagers - a couple of the
guys thought it was because cell phones became small and able to be carried in
your hand.

But at around the same time they stopped paging, kantronics also stopped modify
pagers for 2 meters, and I think they stopped making the tncs that were able to
do POCSAG - so my thinking was that a rule had changed making pagers illegal in
the ham bands. Or at very least questionable.  From the kantronics point of
view the may not have been selling many of them and just didn't want to put the
time and resources into making them anymore.  But something happended -
As I said our local repeater is cabable of doing two tone - it was built like
that from the beginning

We need to setup something and get as many people as we can write up a well
written paper and get a ruleing.  That is bottom line on it -
I am on the fence as far as if it is legal or not - on one hand an agrument can
be made for telemetery - which is aloud - on the other hand pagers can be used
to send one way personal pages which is where I am unclear
I think as we see here agurements can be made on both sides. Which is why we
need a ruleing. When rules are written this vauge some one needs to decide and
stand by the decision

LeRoy, KD8BXP
http://www.HamOhio.com