At 02:06 AM 7/8/2009, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
>No we don't.
>The FCC are obviously happy to allow us to do what we do now.

I agree.  I believe it's counterproductive going off and making noise
to the relevant Government authority (FCC, Ofcom, ACMA, Industry
Canada, etc).  The rules are there for a reason, but the rules can't
keep pace with the level of technological change and
innovation.  WHat we do need to focus on is operating within the
_spirit_ of the rules.  Sending a page to establish a QSO is another
means of selective calling, and that's already available on other
modes (e.g. callsign squelch on D-STAR).  In fact, a very clever
gateway might be able to route a D-STAR call to a pager, and alert
the recipient that someone on D-STAR is looking to make contact.

>If you stir up trouble and get things banned, there are going to be
>an awful lot of pissed amameurs after your arse.

Agree.  Nothing worse than the nit pickers getting something banned,
because they made noises, rather than letting events develop.  Now,
if the pages were being used for commercial reasons, fair enough, but
that's already covered in the rules, no further action needs to be
taken.  POCSAG is a readily available protocol, so no problem there,
and the majority of pages are going to be to initiate a QSO.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com