On Monday 20 July 2009 10:27:12 kd8...@aol.com wrote:
> It wouldn't be as hard to hoax something like that at all -
>
> And yes - I know what I am going to say will make people think that I got
> the idea from a movie. I did not.
>
> But the movie Capricorn One (Which was made late 70s early 80s I believe)
> is a movie about a manned program to mars - the program had problems and it
> was decided to rather then have it fail - Nasa would fake it - there were
> problems of course with faking it as well - namely the astronauts where
> going to play along until the space craft ended up being destroyed because
> of the heat shield - so the astronauts had to be killed.  Anyways, total
> fiction - I know it I understand. But in the movie - key personnel in Nasa
> knew about the hoax - knew what was going on and miss directed the
> underlings - at one point - a man working in control runs and program on
> his own - saying the messages couldn't be coming from mars the signals were
> too close - the director (who is in on the hoax) asks which console he is
> on - and then states oh yes we have been having problems with that console
> - the next day the worker is assigned a different job - but will not let
> well enough alone - speaks to a reported (movie remember) - and is then
> eliminated -
>
> Point is - if only the high up know about the hoax and the miss-direction -
> then a hoax on a massive scale can be pulled off -
>
> Now - as I said in one of my other posts - I still have questions -  but
> the gentleman who has been emailing me has made me think a little more on
> what was going on.
>
> Is it a hoax? I don't know I said that before.
> I would like to think not, but I still have questions about it.
> Did I just give you a movie plot for me reasons it could have been - Yes
> and I fully realize it was a movie plot. And therefore not anyway real
> life. Just interesting That is all I am saying. Here - I don't like the
> idea of all the information coming from one source - more sources are
> needed. I am open to the possibility I am wrong - I just want to see prove
> from a source other then Nasa
[snip]

LeRoy,

I'm not sure how you can have a source other than NASA, other than two hams
who made independant recordings of Apollo transmissions.  In 1971 (summer
issue) a QST article talks of Dick Knadle(sp?) KRIW who got some, and another
ham, I believe W4HHK received signals as well.

I'd also bet the Russian space agency has stuff.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have questions about any
"fakery" of moon landings, find the Myth Busters TV show.  They did a *really*
good job of debunking several myths about how things were faked.

I do not find this discussion OT for Amsat-bb, because this affects us.  It
erodes the effort of tens of thousands of technical people, and has ripple
effects for the USA, far beyond the original topic.

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82